Translate

Wednesday, April 25, 2018

Welcome to the Quiet Zone, or Maybe Not...


://s3.amazonaws.com/libapps/accounts/8434/images/quietzone.jpg


We love our cellphones, tablets, IPods, IPads, and whatever else you can take on the go. But do we love them too much to turn them off? Or  can they benefit us even in a Library setting? The obvious answer is "Well, I don't NEED my phone, I promise." I say this all the time, but once I put it away I find myself continuously reaching for it. With technology on the rise for over a decade, there has been more ways to use your mobile device than just texting, calling, tweeting,and hash-tagging. We can now use our devices as a means to work and study for that upcoming exam you've been putting off since you got the assignment.

"Using mobile technologies in libraries and informational centers" written by Dheeraj Singh Negi, explains how the use of mobile devices can actually benefit libraries by allowing them to reach their patrons on a deeper level. By creating Library apps, libraries can allow their patrons to look up, check out, or request items. 

"Information and Communications Technology continues to expand the boundaries of higher education into the "anytime/anywhere" experiences. Mobile communication is transforming how people search, receive, interact with information on a daily basis." (Negi, Dheeraj Signh, 2014).

Ever since I can remember when I walk into a library, electronic devices are turned off and put away, and if one goes off the librarian glares at you and motions to you by piercing her lips and putting her index fingers over them. How dare you interrupt her/his peaceful oasis?! Now when I walk into a library the first thing I do is connect to the free wifi and check my apps. Times have certainly changed. 


With the rise of technical devices, it is important for libraries to "get with the times"to keep their patrons motivated and keep them interested in coming back. When creating a Library application or "app", libraries can get the word out by putting out a flyer when patrons walk through the door, heck, offer free donuts and coffee, or something to intrigue more people to stop by and check it out. Who's going to opt out of free food? I sure wouldn't. 

Cited

Negi, Dheeraj Singh. (2014). Using mobile technologies in libraries and informational centers.  https://www.emeraldinsight.com/doi/abs/10.1108/LHTN-05-2014-0034 



No comments:

Post a Comment